A firm believer that technical excellence is a minimum requirement in lawyers, and that the ability to deliver Client’s commercial objectives ruthlessly are what differentiates practitioners, Asif converted to law after a career in engineering during which time he worked at world class manufacturing companies. Asif specialises in 3 core areas in resolving high value commercial, property, and probate disputes often involving complex and novel situations, cross border jurisdictions and forums, and covering a multiple of disciplines. Very often Asif acts for Clients who find themselves in genuine disagreements but where the commercial relationship between the contracting parties need to be maintained.
His Commercial Litigation practice includes advising on commercial contract and tort cases, company and personal insolvency matters, shareholder and partnership disputes, banking and trust disputes.
Asif’s Property Litigation practice includes advising on a wide range of disputes including construction, planning and developments, and nuisance claims.
He also advises on contested probate matters involving substantial estates often with assets across several jurisdictions, Inheritance Act and Administration of estates claims.
As well as acting in cases in the High Court and at the Court of Appeal and the UK Supreme Court, Asif advises both domestic and international clients on arbitrations conducted under the major institutional rules.
Asif has recently acted on disputes in the, property, construction, energy (particularly the oil and gas sector), retail, banking and food and beverage sectors and his cases include:
- acting for high street retailer in a passing off dispute and obtaining injunctive relief
- acting for franchisees operating in multiple jurisdictions and litigating in different forums
- acting for joint venture party in substantial arbitration in the oil & gas sector
- advising airlines in pension protection fund related matter
- advising high net worth clients in banking and disputes concerning financial products and investments
- representing clients in acrimonious partnership disputes
- advised Clients on disputes relating to listings on the LSE and AIM, in particular relating to IPO and New and Recent Issue. Recently Asif has advised clients who were undergoing shareholder dispute whilst trading had been suspended on the LSE.
- acting for engineering and architectural consultants involved in development and construction disputes
- obtaining specific performance of property contracts for sale in very contentious disputes
- acting for and advising developers in judicial and statutory review challenges to planning consents on high value developments including planning appeals
- advising Administrators and Liquidators in substantial construction disputes
- advising developers and neighbouring proprietors in Right to Light disputes and Party wall disputes, often in the development context
- representing clients in substantial construction adjudications
- Advising executors and beneficiaries in high value probate disputes
Significant judgments Asif has been involved in include:
Olympic Airlines The Trustees of the Olympic Airlines SA Pension and Life Assurance Scheme (Appellants) v Olympic Airlines SA (Respondent)  UKSC 27
Hard Rock Café Limited and Another v HRCKY Limited  JRC 244B
Olympic Airlines SA  EWCA Civ 643
Olympic Airlines SA  EWCA Civ 218 (25 February 2013)
Olympic Airlines SA  BCC 841,  BPIR 1163,  IL Pr 35
Ellis Building Contractors Ltd v. Goldstein  EWHC 269 (TCC)
Quest Advisors v McFeely (2011) LTL 9.12.2011
Quest Advisors v McFeely LTL 22.10.09
Thane Investments Ltd & Ors v Tomlinson & Ors  EWHC 1182 (Ch) (26 May 2006)
Reading history, Opera and Arsenal F.C.