Geoff specialises in commercial and IT litigation. Admitted as a solicitor in 1987, Geoff has worked as a partner in both leading UK and US law firms.
Geoff has substantial experience in resolving major disputes on significant contracts involving air traffic control, banks, building societies, insurance companies, healthcare, tax, transport, utilities and defence.
Geoff is also experienced in a wide range of remedies from contract management and mediation, through to litigation and arbitration.
Chambers has noted that “Geoff Mendelsohn impresses clients with his ability to deal with difficult cases in a calm and competent way” and he has been described in Legal 500 as “a genuine contentious heavyweight as demonstrated by his representation on high value disputes”. Geoff has also been included in ‘Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom’ for litigation work.
Notable cases Geoff has been involved in include:
- Advising a party involved in a GAFTA arbitration concerning a multimillion dollar contract for the supply of millions of tonnes of grain over several years between 2 state corporations
- Advising Russian party on termination of an agreement for strategic advice in relation to a complex supply contract
- Advising Russian individual in relation to contractual rights under share purchase agreement and tax indemnity
- Advising a provider to the NHS under the £12bn National Programme for IT. As the largest healthcare development in the world, the project suffered from delays and pressure to reduce costs
- Acting for the supplier in what Computer Weekly called at the time one of the longest running trials in the Technology and Construction Court, involving an air traffic control system
- Acting for a company in relation to claims for fraud carried out against a major bank
- Acting for a company in relation to disputes arising out of a system to maintain UK customers’ electronic accounts
- Acting for a large international supplier on a £150m dispute regarding wrongful payment in relation to a tax credits system
- Acting for a major international company on a £43m dispute regarding maintenance and support services for the ‘Oyster card’ transport network
- Acting for a services supplier on the wrongful termination of a healthcare contract, resulting in the payment of a substantial termination for convenience sum
- Acting for a company as part of a consortium in relation to a multi million pound data dispute as part of an infrastructure contract
- Acting for a major US Defense contractor in a multi million pound dispute regarding a supply contract with a European Defense department
Staying fit to keep up with his two boys