Max is a business lawyer with a pragmatic and highly commercial approach developed over an unusually diverse career with more than 25 years in private practice for small and large city law firms including international city giant Norton Rose advising businesses from start-ups to multinationals. He also spent more than three years in commerce as UK general counsel to an insurance broking group with several thousand employees where he found himself making numerous commercial and legal decisions typically faced in business.
With a reputation for being uncommonly business orientated, numerate and straight talking, he thrives on commercial involvement, gets to the heart of critical commercial and legal issues and produces results.
Max specialises in the areas of company, commercial, finance, employment and insurance law.
Examples of Max’s work in private practice include the following:
- Successfully concluding the sale of a London based logistics company for a total anticipated consideration of around £7m.
- Implementing the management buy-out of a public relations group specialising in the financial sector.
- Acting for an acquisitive wealth management company on the purchase of three separate financial services businesses
- Transacting for a financial services business the acquisition of other financial services businesses.
- Acting for four well known poker players who often appear on Sky TV in completing the sale of their rather unusual business of operating the world’s most comprehensive poker and on-line gaming database
- Assisting a substantial business operating in the beauty market to take their newly developed cosmetics range into the global market
- Successfully negotiating the sale of a film storage company to highly cautious US purchaser despite numerous obstacles that periodically derailed the transaction
- Transacting a management buyout of a UK company from an Israeli public company for circa £5m
- Successfully negotiating the sale of a pharmaceutical manufacturer and distributor for £5m whilst allowing the client to continue with his main business
- Transacting the purchase of a property owning company for a number of high worth entrepreneurs for the purpose of a major charitable development project
- Implementing options to purchase a UK company developing cutting edge ophthalmic technology for Russian clients
- Instigating on behalf of a partner of a major international law firm a successful outcome of the negotiation of his position under the firm’s PHI policy and the firm’s LLP Agreement in the context of long term disability
- Successfully negotiating a six figure settlement for a former HR director following her dismissal by her employer
- Assisting a major US and Bermudan based insurance company on the implementation of a workout of its remaining residual value insurance portfolio covering five aircraft with a combined value of US$32m
- Implementing a successful workout of a financial risks insurance policy for two of the world’s largest insurance companies for a value in excess of US$100m involving land and luxury condominium developments in the Caribbean
- Delivering consistently successful outcomes to a major international insurance group on its regulatory, corporate, contractual and employment matters
- Achieving a 90% recovery of a claim of US$8m against a major airline operator
- Providing expertise and advice on a major insured securitisation and subsequently assisting on claims litigation resulting in repayment to a client of an eleven figure Dollar amount
- Regularly acting for insurers in the placement negotiation phases on numerous multi-million dollar cutting edge UK and international transactions involving the provision of credit and financial guarantee insurance to the financial markets
- Drafting and implementing excess of loss reinsurances treaties covering twelve aircraft with a sum insured in excess of US$370m
- Producing a report to the government of an emerging country in Europe on the UK insurance regulatory system for its entry into the European Union
Examples of Max’s work in commerce include the following:
- Successfully negotiating and instigating the sales of various non-core subsidiary businesses including a personal lines insurance business, a financial services business and a pensions business
- Implementing the acquisition of a substantial UK insurance and reinsurance broking group for a ten figure amount
- Successfully delivering on the various legal and regulatory matters including TUPE arising upon the subsequent merger and integration of the acquired insurance and reinsurance broking group
- Developed implementing a new in-house legal function for HR, compliance, company, contractual and secretarial matters
- Instigating and co-ordinating the investigation and disciplinary procedure applied in respect of a potentially damaging high profile claim involving sexual harassment
- Drafting and managing the implementation of new service contracts for all directors and replacement employment contracts for all staff protecting business goodwill
Golf, tennis, football, films, reading, history and politics