Asset and Corporate Finance
We operate across a number of industry sectors working with corporate and private equity houses, funds, commercial lenders and in project and asset finance. We advise clients across a variety of sectors such as infrastructure projects, oil and gas and renewable energy. Our experience covers a range of projects assets and development financing ranging up to £500m.
Our work includes:
- Mergers and acquisitions and advising on the sale and purchase of companies and businesses
- Private equity assistance with financing, exit planning and structuring
Our team has extensive experience in advising on a wide variety of asset and structured finance projects including the procurement, financing and leasing of aircraft, ships, oil and gas, infrastructure and other major development projects. We have experience in a variety of structures and products dealing with operating and finance leases, leverage leases, Islamic finance and residual value arrangements. We also have a wide experience of working on transactions involving secured and unsecured loans and guarantee facilities, acting for banks and other financial institutions including insurance companies and private equity houses. Our teams have acted on debt deals, transactions with mezzanine debt, structured finance, other credit enhancement products, loan (short and long term) re-structuring, work outs and enforcement of security.
In today’s challenging environment we assist angel venture and corporate investors, as well as fund and investment managers, in assessing their target businesses both nationally and internationally in order to ensure their objective is achieved. We also advise founders, entrepreneurs, start-ups and emerging growth companies.
Debt offering provides a business with a way of raising finance without giving up ownership of future profit, whilst leaving other assets open to raising revenue. It is very similar to a private business loan, with the business selling notes with a set annual return rate and a timetable for repaying the debt. It contrasts directly with equity financing where a business sells an equity / ownership stake in order to raise funds while staying debt free and with a balance sheet clear of debt liability. If you are looking for a way to get your business funded with a debt offering, our specialist team can assist.
Lending and Borrowing
We act for an increasing number of banks and other lenders for a variety of purposes including the funding of businesses, assets and real estate acquisitions whether on a short or long term basis or mezzanine finance.
In addition, our business clients may need to raise finance and we have excellent relationships with a variety of lenders, whether it be clearing, commercial, private banks or private funds.
We advise the borrowers and lenders on banking and funding facilities, debt and debt security. Our team has experience in a range of personal and corporate guarantees and forms of security over all types of assets, working together with our property teams to provide a comprehensive service.
The banking and finance sectors have changed dramatically since the financial collapse of 2008. As lenders introduce increasingly complex products and criteria, the need for commercial, clear and reliable advice has also increased.
Whether a lender is looking to structure a deal or a borrower is seeking a facility, our legal team can get the deal done. With a wealth of experience advising major high street lenders, specialist lenders or private investors, we know the industry, its opportunities and what can go wrong.
We have advised on, drafted and negotiated a wide range of banking and finance documents:
- General banking and corporate lending, both secured and unsecured
- Finance to buy businesses / companies whether by a management buy-out or trade purchase
- Specialist structured or leveraged finance
- Private equity finance
- Invoice discounting and receivables finance
- Property finance
- Private lending, loan agreements and security advice
- Rescheduling and restructuring facilities
Examples of Asset and Corporate Finance, and Investment Work
- Acting for owners of a group of companies with 18 subsidiary companies and limited liability partnerships in a senior debt facility of £50m and the subsequent re-financing
- Acting for owners of a group of companies (Plc) with 10 subsidiaries in a senior debt facility of £16m and the subsequent re-financing
- Acting for seller in £330m cross border sale of pharmaceutical company
- Implemented the management buy-out of a public relations group specialising in the financial sector including its financing from a major high street bank.
- Acting for a seller in multi-million pound MBO of F1 racing team
- Acting for an acquisitive wealth management company on the purchase of three separate financial services businesses
- Acting for sellers in a group company consisting of a Swiss company and a Nigerian company in a multi-million sale of shares to a US company in the oil and gas sector
- Transacting for a financial services business in the acquisition of other financial services businesses
- Successfully concluding the sale of a London based logistics company for a total anticipated consideration of around £7m
- Successfully concluding the sale of a substantial central London surveyors practice to management
- Successfully negotiating the sale of a film storage company to a highly cautious US purchaser despite numerous obstacles that periodically derailed the transaction
- Transacting a management buyout of a UK company from an Israeli public company for circa £5m
- Successfully negotiating the sale of a pharmaceutical manufacturer and distributor for £5m
- Implementing options to purchase a UK company developing cutting edge ophthalmic technology for Russian clients
- Successfully acting for a number of investors and developers on the financing, sale and disposal of several multi-million pound property deals
- Acting for an Indian pharmaceutical company in multi-million pound acquisition of a UK pharmaceutical company
- Acting for an Indian cinema company in the acquisition of a majority stake in UK cinema chain
- Acting for US-based pharmaceutical company in acquisition of a UK company specialising in clinical trials
- Acting for sellers in £20m sale of shares in a communications group to a US company
- Acting for buyers in multi-million pound purchase of an international subsidiary of a high-tech company (microwave technology)
- Acting for an Indian steel company in setting up a company in Georgia and dealing with an international bank funding for set-up
- Acting for sellers in £10m sale of shares in financial consulting company to a US company
- Acting for a seller in £26.5m sale of shares in off-shore Company with a 25-property portfolio
- Acting for a consortium of Japanese companies in a multi-million pound acquisition of shares in a joint venture company in the automotive sector
- Assistance to a major US and Bermudan based insurance company on the implementation of a workout of its remaining residual value insurance portfolio covering five aircraft with a combined value of $32m
- Implementing a successful workout of a financial risks insurance policy for two of the world’s largest insurance companies for a value in excess of $100m involving land and luxury condominium developments in the Caribbean
Examples of Debt Offering and Lending work
- Acting for owners of a group of companies with 18 subsidiary companies and limited liability partnerships in a senior debt facility of £50m and subsequent refinancing
- Acting for a group of companies (PLC) with 10 subsidiaries in a senior debt facility of £16m and the subsequent refinancing.
- Acting for a bank on the funding of a £20m property acquisition in Mayfair including putting in place debentures, cross guarantees, and other forms of security
- Acting for a bank on urgent funding of a £15m refinancing of a property transaction in central London including putting in place the loan facility, debentures, cross guarantees and other forms of security with five days of being instructed
- Implementing the management buy-out of a public relations group specialising in the financial sector including its financing from a major high street bank.